Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Guest Article: Why You Should Read Fables (Brought to you by Molly Notime- Nowhere but I do own Rob part 2 of 2 )

Why Should You Read Fables?

Okay. So I’m not really your typical comic book kind of gal. I say that because, well, I have many other hobbies that consume most of my free time besides reading comic books. But when I was first introduced to comics by my S.O. (“significant other,” for those of you not yet on the bandwagon) Rob, I was given the best book possible for a newbie: Fables. And I’m not saying this because I was paid by someone to say it, oh no, believe you me, this is definitely from the bottom of my heart. I love Fables.

Fables should be read by everyone. And by everyone I mean literate humans between the ages of 14 (per required maturity level recommended by the company) and 104 (because after that you start believing you’re a character in the book.) The characters in Fables are real; from the very beginning I was touched by their kindness, disappointed (in a select few) by their greed, excited to be in attendance (as a reader) to their joyous occasions. As you read this book, each character gains more roundness and more depth and becomes more interesting.

I haven’t even mentioned anything about the incredible art or true-to-life conversations/writing in the series. I could go on and on and on, but I won’t, because if I decide to explain, in detail, all the amazing things about this series, I will have ended up with a book of my own. And I would much rather have you read Fables instead.

The gist of it is this: You know how you felt when you were young and read about amazing superheroes and other worlds you knew must exist? Or how you watched damsels being rescued by modest and handsome spandex-suited men and hoped that would be you someday? This book makes you feel like that all over again. It gives you those same exciting feelings of hope you felt when you were young, only it’s specifically written for you.

Sometimes adults will go back and read a book they loved when they were young and they end up disappointed because they don’t get the same feelings anymore. But Fables gives you those feelings because it’s got the same elements as all those childhood stories in a more mature package. And that’s why you should read Fables. You’ll feel like a kid again, I promise.

-Molly

No comments: