Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Whatever You Want: Stylish Vittles

I'll be the first to admit that having Scott suggest a book for me to read is a scary experience. I love him to pieces, but you never know what he's going to pull out from his bag of tricks. I trust him with my comic choices because he hasn't steered me wrong yet, but the fear is still there. This week, going along with the joke we made about my other posts (something old, something new, something blue), he loaned me a book. So consider this my something borrowed week.

Stylish Vittles: I met a Girl

By: Tyler Page

This is quite simply a book about finding someone you love and how they change your life, even after they leave. Tyler is a senior in college, all set on finishing up his senior show. He's ready to loosen up and enjoy his last year of college. He meets Nannette at a party, and then runs into her sporadically during the first few weeks of school. They start spending more and more time together, with never an uncomfortable moment between them. Their relationship builds and builds until he starts spending the night.

And then, they start talking about religion. Their views differ so much that Tyler's idea that when you die, "the life inside of you goes back into the earth and stars and in a sense you do live forever" makes Nanette upset to the point of crying. She doesn't understand how he can stand just waiting and seeing and not believing that when you die you get to see your family. He comforts her and all seems well until they get into another religious discussion and she kicks him out of her room. He ends up on the roof, looking at the stars. And then the stars start talking to him. That's about where book one ends.

This was one of the surprising finds that Scott has given to me. I really liked the interplay of the characters. If you've ever gone to college or fallen easily in love, this book is definitely for you. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book to see what happens next. Thank you Scott!

No comments: