Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Living Up To Expectations: A World of New

The Mighty #2


Written by: Peter J. Tomasi & Keith Champagne



Art by: Peter Snejbjerg


This is a really damn good book. Anyone who thought they knew where the book was going after having read only one issue is clearly very shortsighted. This is going to be one hell of a ride. I heard somewhere that Keith Champagne thinks that this is going to be the breakout book of the year, I think he might be right. I think that this book is currently the sleeper hit waiting to happen. The kind of things that go on in this issue are the kind of things that you might imagine would really happen more often if there was a character like Superman, or in this case Alpha One around. As much as someone might want to stop crime from happening, people from getting hurt, there will always be times when the unforeseen can, and often will, happen. This is a book all about the ramifications of action, inaction, education, ignorance, life ... consequences of the decisions of life. Gabriel Cole is an incredibly endearing character, there is so much about him that I can identify with. The great hope to live up to expectations that might have been set on you by parents you never got the chance to know. I try not to talk too much about my own personal life here on the website but when I come across a character that touches parts of my life that others don't I get a little emotional. Superman does this for me. Superman is the coolest adopted kid ever in my opinion. When I see the way Superman treated the Kobra babies from Checkmate in the recent Faces of Evil: Kobra one shot it reminded me of what it's like to be adopted, what it's like to be somewhere where you are different. Gabriel Cole does this for me. This issue we find out what happened to his parents (for the most part) and how he first encountered Alpha One ... and it got to me. It reached into my guts and made me feel something. Peter Tomasi and Keith Champagne did this to me. Peter Snejbjerg drew the perfect emotion on Gabe's face when Alpha One told him that his parents would have been proud. I know that feeling, I have had that feeling. Good on you guys. Good on you. Keep up the good work. This is one of the books that everyone, regardless of how you feel about DC or the comics industry these days, should be reading. I think that if this series doesn't recieve a "second season" as it were that there would be no greater injustice in the industry. I will champion this book myself if I have to, I will make it my own personal quest to make sure that everyone with an open mind takes a copy of this book home with them.

Jersey Gods #2


Written by: Glen Brunswick



Art by: Dan McDaid


This is another really fun book from Image. They've been doing a really good job at that lately. Take one part New Gods and one part Love Fights and you'll pretty well wind up with Jersey Gods. It's a great series of action, comedy, and romance featuring engaging characters, fun art (not the kind that would instantly appeal to most of the comics market but in my opinion great) and interesting story beats. If you're a fan of books like Madman, GODLAND, or Charlatan Ball then this is the kind of book that you'll really enjoy. I think this is fast becoming one of my favorite new series from Image and I hope that people catch on because far too many books that I love get cancelled ... it's just frustrating ... so, check out some books that are a little further from the beaten path and we can be alright ... I'd hate for us to not be alright.

No comments: