Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What Do You Mean They're Not Superheroes?: Sneak Peek Reviews 11/25/2008

Umbrella Academy: Dallas #1
Written by: Gerard Way
Art by: Gabriel Ba

So, last year when Dark Horse announced that they were going to be publishing a miniseries written by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance I think I recall throwing up in my mouth a little bit. Then they made the announcement even more confusing by saying that one of my favorite new artists was going to be doing the art for the book, Gabriel Ba. The bile tasted just as sour. Then I actually read the damn book. And I will say with a good portion of my being that it was really rather damn good. Way had created a cast of compelling characters and had crafted an interesting mystery that lead down a lot of complex pathways. All in all the miniseries was rather enjoyable and when it came time for awards season this year the industry took notice as well. Umbrella Academy won the Eisner for Best Limited Series this last summer at the 2008 Eisner Award Ceremony. So needless to say it's sequel Umbrella Academy: Dallas has quite a lot to live up to. And I think that it did. I was just as interested in the goings on of the first issue of the new miniseries as I was during the previous miniseries and I think that it has the potential to be a better story than the previous one in all actuality. Way's managed to get past the jitters that every first writer experiences and really nails the dialog as well as the characterization. Ba's art looks better than ever and the quality here will only raise his stock with those that already love his work. So, I think it goes pretty well without saying that if you read Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite that you're going to want to get this one as well, and if you have never read either and are a fan of books like Hellboy, Proof, B.P.R.D, The Perhapanauts, and others that you should certainly check this one out as well.

No comments: