Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Brief Mentions: The Death-Defying Devil # 1

Plot, Cover and Art Direction by: Alex Ross
Plot and Script by: Joe Casey

Interior Art by: Edgar Salazar

Colors by: Romulo Fajardo Jr.
(Top: Alex Ross Cover, Below: John Cassaday Cover. These are only 2 of 8 covers in all.)
I would like to start by saying that I am a huge fan of Golden Age Characters. It is another amazing side effect of a book called Starman. I know… I know… here we go again with the Starman. To you I say… it’s not my fault that Starman is the canon of DC superhero comics. Getting back to the subject, there is a book called Project Superpowers that Dynamite is putting out. This book is perfect for fans like me or any fans of another book called The Twelve. Project Superpowers is reviving long lost characters from companies like Fox Comics, Crestwood Publications and Nedor Comics. Upon the conclusion of the first arc we are getting a few spinoff books that have seemed to be of the upmost importance of the world that is being created over there at Dynamite. The second of these books bridging the gap from the first and the second arc of Project Superpowers is The Death-Defying Devil.

The Death Defying-Devil # 1 finds our Golden Age hero in present day but it seems to be buisness as usaual. Meaning our hero can still kick a little ass. You see things are little bit different but the same sheenagins are present. Such as, shady people doing shady things; therefore, the Devil must open up a can of whoop ass. The real test comes when an interesting, yet familiar looking player enters the game. A fight ensues until the bright lights shine down from on high, leaving us wondering what or should I say whose ass will be kicked next. For more info about the character The Death-Defying ’Devil, Bart Hill click on his name listed previously in this sentence.

Needless to say, I recommend this book to everyone who enjoys superhero comics. As well as all the other spin offs of Project Superpowers, which for those of you who do not own the issues can now get a very handsome hardcover copy of the first arc. After you pick that up all you need to do is grab Black Terror #1, The Death-Defying Devil #1, and to keep your eyes peeled for The Masqurade, as told by Phil Hester, that will becoming soon. Also keep your eyes locked to this site for my full review of Project Superpowers from the beginning to the present coming soon… I promise. My very first From The Milk Crates? Maybe… just maybe it may be so.

-Rob

*From the editor’s desk: Due to the fact I have been called out on my horrible memory (cough… cough… you know who you are.) I am excited to tell you that I can’t wait to sit down and read all the Project Superpowers books. And when I finish my wonderful adventure I will tell the tale of this wonderful book by a wonderful team in great detail. For a man is only as good as his words. Now my words are “maybe I will maybe I won’t we will see what happens” but I am excited to write about this story that I believe to be underrated and over looked but definitely deserving of a blog log. I will get into that at a later date you have my words on that.

No comments: