Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

What Do You Mean They're Not Superheroes?: Trying to Tune in to Radio Heads

So, Rob called me out (technically he called Darren out too but Darren doesn't have a functioning keyboard right now so I guess it is up to me). Yeah, last week Darren and I and a group of our mutual friends went out to see Radiohead, live, at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater ... and despite the performances being amazing, and the set list being stellar I just couldn't enjoy myself. Every song was awesome. The stage was beautiful, couldn't have been a nicer night to go to a concert outside ... but. What this show did, in all it's magnificence and glory, was show me just how much I hate (HATE) big concert venues. Everyone on the stage was like a centimeter tall, all these people kept moving through the crowd, the ground was still a little wet from the previous night's rain, there was an abundance of smoke (of both kinds) in the air, it was the last thing I want from a concert. When I go to a show I like to be able to sit down and enjoy something resembling an intimate experience with the band I have paid my hard earned money to see. But none of that was to be had. When I go to shows at The Pageant, The Creepy Crawl, The Blue Note, The Duck Room, The Billiken Club, hell even at The Red Sea ... I feel like I am in the same headspace as the crowd and the artist and the music itself. When I go to big venue shows I barely feel like I am in the same Zip Code ... but that's just me. I understand that there is no other way to see Radiohead anymore ... I understand that I could have paid more money and possibly have been closer ... I understand, trust me ... it doesn't mean I have to like it though. And as much as I appreciate Radiohead shucking the man off their back and releasing their record themselves and doing it in such a way as to be the opening shot in the revolution (Even though Harvey Danger did it first) against the way that music has been made available to the masses I still don't think that gives them the right to charge $40 for a t-shirt ...

But anyway.

No comments: