Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Whatever You Want: Emiko Superstar


Emiko Superstar

By: Mariko Tamaki and Steve Rolston

I randomly picked out a Minx book for this week's whatever you want article. It just so happened to be something that I can totally relate to. Emiko is an outsider among everyone her age, a dork even among the dorks. Instead of going to the finance summer camp with them, she resigns herself for a boring summer of work. She gets a job as a baby-sitter after being the whip girl at a coffee shop. On a shopping trip to spend her ill-gotten gains, Emiko sees an art freak dancing and passing out fliers for a place called the Freak Show. After a couple of tries, she does manage to convince herself to go inside. She watches a bunch of performance art and meets a guy named Henry, who asks her if she is a performer. Without thinking, she answers yes and finds out that there is an open mic night for new performers.

After a false start at becoming a performer, she finds the diary of the lady she is baby-sitting for. Without much hesitation, she copies down all of the stuff in the diary and uses it as her performance art. Her summer takes a wild spin as she becomes accepted at the Freak Show and learns that everyone has problems fitting in, freaks to normal people.

I can totally relate to Emiko. She's shy and awkward and just a bit out of step with her peers. I was that girl in high school. Unlike Emiko, I didn't get the outlet of the Freak Show to express myself. I enjoyed the hell out of this book; Poppy reminds me a lot of some of my friends, all flash and glitz until you get to know them. I understand now why Scotty has been trying so hard to get me to read books from the Minx line. If all of them are this entertaining, I will be reading them all.

No comments: