Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Brief Mentions: Kirkman… You Scare Me…

Destroyer #1

Written By: Robert Kirkman

Art By: Corey Walker

This book almost passed me by. I did not even know of this book until 3 hours after I had already purchased my books for the week. A few days later, I returned to my local comic shop and purchased Destroyer #1. After some intense research, (going to wikipedia) I found some interesting information on this long forgotten hero of yesteryear. Destroyer’s origin is very similar to that of Captain America and was created in 1941 under Marvels old moniker, Timely Comics. Behind the mask is American Journalist, Keen Marlow, who is captured by Nazis during WWII. An anti-Nazi German scientist gives Marlow the super soldier serum and Marlow joins the ranks of superhumans. Since his debut in the 40’s, Destroyer slowly fell from the comic pages and forever trapped in the pages of the golden age, until now. Creative team Robert Kirkman and Corey Walker (Invincible anyone?), decide to revive this long dead superhero under the MAX comics banner. Here is some advice… KEEP THIS COMIC FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR out of reach of children. The MAX title is not a joke. I haven’t seen this much blood since…o wait… I guess the last issue of Invincible… but it’s still really bloody. Kirkman really jumps into the story and develops and excellent first issue and raises many plot devices and questions. Corey Walker’s art is simply astounding and is able to make gore even gorier. This five issue miniseries is going to be a great read and a very intense rollercoaster ride. Witness the resurrection of Destroyer!


The Invincible Iron Man #12

Written By: Matt Fraction

Art By: Salvador Larroca

The reign of darkness continues and things are becoming bleaker for our ironclad hero. Norman Osborn is now the center of American defenses. And Pepper Potts: Superhero? Eleven issues ago I did not read Iron Man and had no prior reading experience with the character. I never personally cared for the character of Tony Stark because he caused the demise of one of the most beloved comic characters of all time. He just seemed like a drunk that I could not relate to…. O how wrong I was. With just twelve issues, Fraction and Larroca has truly made me come to love this character. Every hero is a definition of the hardships they face (I promise I’m not quoting zoom) and Stark’s heroism is being put to the test. Also seeing Pepper Potts in an iron man suit is one of the coolest ideas seen in comics in a long time. I loved Pepper Potts in The Order and am glad to see that the character didn’t disappear into nothingness. If there is anyone out there who loves this book and hasn’t read The Order…. GO READ IT NOW!!!! The Order was the first exposure I ever had to Matt Fraction’s work and I have been a fan ever since. I don’t think I need to say that Larroca’s art continues to be stunning as always and really helps the book come to life. As we know (from the KC PlanetComicon special) things are going to get worse for Tony but hey… he’s made of iron for a reason right?

No comments: