Hey All! We've moved the Blog portion of the ComicDorksCast over to The Fantasy Shop's Website! Just Click on Wallace The Dragon to find all our new articles. We will still be posting the episodes here as to not interrupt those who have subscribed through iTunes and various other podcatchers but all of our articles have found a new home. Come find us! We've got reviews on games as well and the message boards are once again alive and active!

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Better Late than Never - Sneak Peek Reviews: 4/28/09

Battle for the Cowl: The Underground 


Written by: Chris Yost 


Art by: Pablo Raimondi 

Where to start, where to start? 

I loved this comic. I really did. I know you're all getting very sick of hearing that, but I loved this comic. There was something about it that just struck the right chords with me. I have been fascinated with The Riddler ever since he stopped being a straight up super villain and became a private detective for the rich and famous, those whose cases had been abandoned by the police and ignored by Batman. Everything about the character has been interesting since then, and this issue focuses on him and one of my other favorite citizens of Gotham: Selina Kyle. Chris Yost, who will soon be taking over the reigns on Red Robin, really showed that he can do some kick-ass writing even if his writing partner Craig Kyle isn't along (not that there was any question about that once I read the first issue of Killer of Demons). And Pablo Raimondi has been one of my very favorite artists for a good long while now and seeing him work with Gotham as his canvas was really thrilling. I think that all of the Battle for the Cowl ancillary issues have been rather good when they weren't totally awesome. I commend all the creators involved with each of the books because there has been something about them that has really sung and I hope that everyone who decided not to read these books soon realize what a collossal mistake they made ... that wasn't pointed at anyone in particular ... really ... anyway ... 

Sherlock Holmes #1 


Written by: Leah Moore & John Reppion 


Art by: Aaron Campbell 

When I was in the third grade I read The Hobbit for the first time and it made me a fantasy fan for the rest of my life (my first exposure to fantasy had been the previous year when my teacher had read a sizely portion of The Chronicles of Narnia to my class and by reading The Hobbit I knew that it would be a love of the genre and not just C.S. Lewis). The book I read after I had finished The Hobbit was The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. So it's now big surprise that I have always had a love of mysteries and crime stories. When I heard that Dynamite was going to be doing a Sherlock Holmes series I was hesitantly thrilled. I've really enjoyed a lot of the properties that Dynamite has dealt with, books like Lone Ranger and Zorro being the best of the bunch in my own mind. And when I then heard that Leah Moore and her husband John Reppion were going to be penning the story I knew that I had very little to worry about. This was one really well done book and has a lot of the typical Holmesian tropes that fans of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work will recognize and enjoy. The artwork is stunningly good as well. Aaron Campbell, who I am completely unfamiliar with, brings a level of intricacy and talent the likes of I haven't seen in a very long time (his art actually reminds me a whole lot of Eric J). I really think that this book holds a hell of a lot of promise and I hope that everyone checks it out this week.    

No comments: